Thursday, January 3, 2013

Thrift Store Thursdays - Batman, Superman, Annie Oakley and More!

Thrift Store Thursdays
 Hello!  Welcome to the first edition of Thrift Store Thursdays!  Every Thursday, I'll be showing off the neat used toys, games, and other pop culture stuff I find at thrift stores, flea markets, yard sales and other places.  This week, everything I bought comes from the Savers thrift store near my house.  It's where I get most of my used toys, because it's within walking distance of where I live, so I go there a lot.  But one of my goals for 2013 is to find more cool places to buy used toys here in Las Vegas.  For instance, there is a big swap meet in town every weekend, but I've never been there, because I used to work on the weekends, so I never really had enough time.  But, lately I've been getting Sundays off, so I hope to go check it out soon.   Especially now that the football season is coming to a close, I won't have any excuses to stay home and watch TV.

Batman Action Figures
 Action figures!  They are probably my favorite thing to find, especially Batman action figures.  From left to right, we have some weird looking 1990's (?) cyborg Batman, a Blue Beetle figure from Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Bane from the Dark Knight Rises, and a Batman figure from the "The Batman" cartoon series.

Superman Action Figures
Where superheroes are concerned, I mainly collect Batman figures, but I'll branch out to other DC Comics characters as well, when I find a good deal on them.  I'm guessing that these Superman figures are from the Justice League Unlimited line, but I'm not really sure.  From left to right is Superman, Brainiac, and some variant costume Superman.

Superman Pinball Machine
 This was a neat thing to find: A Superman pinball game.  There is a crack in the plastic, but aside from that it is in good shape and working condition.


Millennium Falcon Cockpit Thing
 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Thing!  What is it?  I don't really know, it has buttons you can press, that make little rods pop out of the bottom, and it has a strap on it.  I'm guessing it's one part of a larger toy or game.  I bought it because I think it would make a good diorama piece to display Star Wars or other sci-fi action figures in front of.  And it was only 49 cents!

Another one of my goals for 2013 is build some dioramas or other displays to show off my action figures in.  Right now there just lined up randomly on my shelves, or they're in boxes (that's no fun).  My number one goal for a diorama or display is a Batcave.  I've already bought a few things for that, and I'll probably show them off in a future Thrift Store Thursday post.


Plastic Ray Gun
 This came in a baggy with some of my action figures, but once I got it out of the bag, I thought it was pretty cool.  It makes ray gun sounds, and the piece under the transparent plastic lights up and spins.  What I really like about it is it's "retro" style, like something from an old Buck Rogers comic strip.


Annie Oakley
Now this is cool.  An "Annie Oakley" action figure, still in the box!  It's from Accoutrements Toys.   I've been noticing their toys online for awhile now, they seem to make some really fun and unusual toys, such as action figures based on historical figures, but this is the first thing from them I've owned.


Fisher-Price Imaginext Space Shuttle
 This is a fun Space Shuttle toy.  It lights up, makes various space sounds, has wings that expand outward, a cargo hatch that opens, and a cockpit that opens up.  In a cool coincidence, one of the plastic baggies full of Batman and Superman action figures I bought had an Imaginext figure in there as well, so I have someone to fly it!  I've been thinking about buying the Imaginext Batman toys for a while now, and I think after seeing this Imaginext toy, I'm going to do it.


Penguins
When you buy action figures in thrift stores, they usually bundle them together in baggies, and you get one or two cool figures, and the rest are weird happy meal toys and stuff.  I've got a big box full of reject toys that grows bigger and bigger every week, that I'm not sure what I'm going to do with. One thing I get a lot of, for some reason, is toy penguins.  But I just realized that getting an army of little toy penguins could be pretty cool, because I can use them as props for Batman's enemy "The Penguin," so now I'm happy whenever I find one of these in my bags.

Alright!  That's it for "Thrift Store Thursdays" this week.  Hope to see you back next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment