Wednesday, September 17, 2014

"The Terminator" Chrome T800 Endoskeleton and Kyle Reese Retro Action Figures - Funko/Super7 (2014)

Retro Wednesdays!


In the Year of Darkness, 2029, the rulers of this planet devised the ultimate plan.  They would reshape the Future by changing the Past.  The plan required something that felt no pity.  No pain.  No fear.  Something unstoppable.  They created 'THE TERMINATOR.'  And now, in 2014, Funko and Super 7 have followed suit, and created 'THE TERMINATOR' ReAction Figures.  The Future will never be the same.  Only You can change the Future, by continuing to read this blog after the jump...



Today I've got a Terminator Twofer, as I look at two Terminator ReAction figures from Funko and Super7: the chrome variant T800 Endoskeleton and Kyle Reese.  One is a cybernetic being sent in to the past to destroy the mother of humanity's last hope.   The other is a human being sent back in time to protect her.



The card art is a cool picture of Arnold Schwarzenegger taken from the movie poster.  The cards for the Terminator figures are all identical except for the name of the figure, no individual character portraits.  But really, do we need anyone else other than Schwarzenegger on a Terminator box?  I think not.  The T800 Endoskeleton comes in a regular and chrome version.  I guess the regular is just grey plastic, but I'm not sure because i haven't seen one yet.  I've got the chrome version, and it's nice and shiny.  That's the only variant in the Terminator figures so far.  Aside from the Endoskeleton and Kyle Reese, the other figures in this line are Sarah Connor and two figures of The Terminator himself, one in his punk rock gear from the first half of the film, and one in his leather jacket and sunglasses look fromt he second half of the film.



The Chrome T800 Endoskeleton looks a little blocky from straight on, but looks really good when viewed from the side or at an angle.  The plastic on this figure feels really brittle, unlike the sturdy plastic used on all the other ReAction figures I've encountered.  Maybe that's a result of the "chrome" process, I don't know, but I feel like I have to be careful with it or it might break.  The chrome picks up reflection from the surroundings like crazy.  I took photos of it on an orange surface, with a blue background, and you can see in my pictures how much the orange and blue reflects off the figure.  The figure is pretty much all chrome, except for some paint on his eyes and teeth.  The paint on the teeth is a little too high on my figure, it misses the bottom edge of his teeth and ride up on to his upper lip.  Aside from that, the figure is in perfect condition.



Kyle Reese comes with a removable cloth trenchcoat and two guns.  But you won't see any photos of the guns today because I've already lost them.  Hooray.  I had a bunch of my ReAction figure's accessories stored in a little Ziploc bag that I have since misplaced.  Hopefully it's just lost in the clutter of my piles of toys, and will turn up eventually.  I'm not really sold on the use of cloth on this figure, I think it looks out of place.  Luckily, it comes off easily, and I think the figure looks really great without it.  There are some really nice details on this figure, my favorite being the bandages on his hand and elbow.  I especially like the bandage on his elbow, since it was covered with a coat they really didn't need to sculpt it, but they did, and I really appreciate that.  The textured stripes they sculpted on to his shirt are a nice touch, too.  They could have easily omitted that and no one would have noticed, but because they didn't, they figure has a distinctive look.



I haven't bought the other Terminator figures yet, but I will eventually, so keep an eye out for them here in the future.  If this line continues, I hope they release a battle damaged version of The Terminator with his exposed cybernetic eye, that would be sweet.  They could also release nude "time traveler" versions of Kyle Reese and The Terminator, although I'm not sure how they would deal with the whole "indecent exposure" issue.
 
 





BONUS! MUSIC VIDEOS:

Here's some cool music videos from the New Wave songs and artists featured in the "Tech Noir" dance club in the movie.  The first video, "Linn Van Hek - Intimacy," is actually the original vintage music video from 1984.

Linn Van Hek - Intimacy  


For the second video, "Tahnee Cain and The Tryanglz - Burnin' in the Third Degree," someone has cut together a music video from clips from the movie, and it's really cool.  The song itself reminds me of Jem & the Holograms, and I mean that in the best possible way. 

Tahnee Cain and The Tryanglz - Burnin' in the Third Degree


The third song is by Jay Ferguson and 16MM.  Jay Ferguson is a classic musician who was in the legendary 1960s group Spirit (one of my favorite bands of all time), as well as in the underrated rockers Jo Jo Gunne.  This new wave song from him is not really typical of his work, so I've included a couple of his other songs afterwards, the smokin' Jo Jo Gunne rocker "Run, Run, Run," and two Ferguson penned tracks from Spirit. The final track is called "Mr. Skin," which ties things back together with The Terminator, who was a machine in human skin.

Jay Ferguson & 16MM - Pictures Of You


Jo Jo Gunne - Run, Run, Run


Spirit - Silky Sam


Spirit - Mr. Skin
              
Space Patrol

1 comment:

  1. I've got the regular Snake and the BBP Gremlin on my desk right now and a group of four of the modern horror Reactions just showed up at my house today. I'm so digging these guys!

    Good review. I'll agree that the coat is a little wonky looking, but I think it matches up well with some of the ROTJ era Kenner Star Wars stuff like the combat poncho Leia and Luke, Han in his trench coat, or Bib Fortuna.

    ReplyDelete